Since losing to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari at the April 2015 presidential election, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has been releasing tit-bits about the circumstances surrounding the loss.In yet another revelation, Jonathan disclosed how he was advised by a sitting African leader not to accept the result of the election, a move that could have plunged Nigeria into chaos. In an interview with The Sun, he said:
“Let me tell you a story that will shock you. When the results of the elections were declared and I got almost 13 million votes, while the incumbent president won with over 15 million votes, I recall one African leader telling me that if I decided to leave office, it would only be because I must already be tired of remaining in office.”
In an interview with France 24, the Nigerian leader said insurgency caught the country unawares but his government laid a solid foundation for terrorism to be defeated.
“The new government is working hard and I believe they are still using the equipment we procured. Though the budget is still being debated, no new equipment has been bought, so even those equipment the president is using to prosecute the war against Boko Haram are those equipment we procured,” he said. Continue reading
Former President Goodluck Jonathan says he cannot speak on the current $2.1bn arms scam now because the matter is in court. The former President said this in a series of tweets on his official Twitter handle on Wednesday. Continue reading
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC explained, yesterday, why it has not arrested former President Goodluck Jonathan following startling revelations on how the former National Security Adviser, NSA, Col Sambo Dasuki (retd) allegedly disbursed over $2.1 billion meant for arms purchase to various individuals.
The EFCC boss, Mr Ibrahim Magu said that no document has been traced to Jonathan giving any approval for the disbursement of the money for any purpose other than arms purchase. He said that all those questioned so far in connection with the money were people who disbursed or collected it for reasons other than the purchase of arms and ammunition.
The national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party has called on former President Goodluck Jonathan to speak out on the controversial $2.1bn meant for the purchase of arms to fight Boko Haram insurgency during his tenure but which was allegedly shared by some influential politicians. Continue reading
The detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mr Nnamdi Kanu has denied apologising to President Muhammadu Buhari, former President Goodluck Jonathan and Igbo elders over his comments on them in Radio Biafra. This clarification came on the heels of some media reports that the Director of Radio Biafra has tendered unreserved apology to these people in his bid to regain his freedom. Kanu, who spoke through his lawyer, Mr. Vincent Obetta, in a statement obtained by Saturday Sun said:
“I denied the ruse making the rounds that my client apologized vide a letter to the President Mohammed Buhari, former President Goodluck Jonathan and some Igbo elders. “Obetta said that Kanu did not address any letter of apology whatsoever to President Buhari, Jonathan or the Igbo elders.
President Goodluck Jonathan has said that it is not necessary for him to visit Chibok, Borno State community where about 270 schoolgirls were abducted on April 14. Jonathan was responding to a question on Saturday during a press conference held at Elysee Palace in Paris to announce the conclusions of the Regional Summit on Security in Nigeria Continue reading