The leader of al-Qaeda-linked Islamist group, Ansaru, has been arrested in Nigeria, authorities there say. A military spokesman said Khalid al-Barnawi was captured in Lokoja, capital of the central state of Kogi. The US had placed a $5m (£3.5m) bounty on his head after branding him one of three Nigerian “specially designated global terrorists” in 2012. Continue reading
Reno Omokri, former New Media aide to President Goodluck Jonathan, has said that the recent declaration by the Chief of Army staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai, that Sambisa is as big as Enugu, has vindicated him. Continue reading
President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud of Somalia on Sunday said that fighters of the Boko Haram sect trained in his country before coming to Nigeria to carry out their heinous acts. According to Reuters, Mohamud said this while addressing a security conference in Germany. Reuters quoted him as saying that:
“Without a stable Somalia, the whole region of the Horn of Africa will remain unstable and by and large, the African continent. There are proofs and evidence that (for) some time Boko Haram has been trained in Somalia and they went back to Nigeria. The terrorists are so linked together, they are associated and so organised, (that) we the world we need to be so organised.”
A teenage girl packed with explosives by Boko Haram ripped off her vest to avoid taking part in the attack on Borno Internally Displaced Persons camp (IDPs) in Dikwa, Borno State on Tuesday. Two others with her, however, walked into the middle of hundreds of people lining up for food before they blew themselves up in the attack that killed 58 and injured 78. It was the most lethal attack launched by the sect in recent months. Continue reading
Former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili who is championing the Bring-Back-Our-Girls campaign has urged President Buhari to tell Nigerians the truth about the war against Boko Haram. In her words:
“The government cannot afford to go to the old ways where lies were fed to the people. Let there be truthfulness. Government should not create a trust deficit syndrome because it will be difficult to mend. Everything that the government is doing concerning the war, they should tell the truth. We will get used to it and join in the solution.”
Sequel to the recent attacks in Dalori village at the outskirt of Maiduguri, by suspected Boko Haram members, President Buhari has issued a statement saying the terrorists are out to embarrass his government. This was revealed in a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu. The statement said :
“I urge all citizens wherever they live to own the war against terror and to be part of the fight because it is the only way we can finish the remaining work that needs to be done to make our country safe again.
Terror group, Boko Haram, was alleged to have burnt some children to death when the militants overran Dalori, a village four kilometres outside Maiduguri, where about 80 residents of the community were killed on Saturday night. The Area Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency in Borno State, Mohammed Kanar, said 86 bodies were picked up in the village on Sunday. Continue reading
President Muhammadu Buhari has vowed to deal decisively with the seeming resurgence of oil theft, vandalism of pipelines and insecurity in the Niger Delta.
Declaring that the Nigerian Armed Forces had already dealt “deadly blows” on Boko Haram, Mr. Buhari said the activities of oil thieves and vandals would soon be brought to an end, according to a statement by his spokesperson, Garba Shehu, on Tuesday.
“The oil thieves and abductors are a less problematic target. We will re-organise and deal with them,” he was quoted as saying. Continue reading
Suspected members of the Boko Haram sect have abducted Ismaïla Sago, police commissioner in charge of public security at Dabanga, a town in the far north of Cameroon. According to Africapresse.com, security sources told Xinhua that Sago fell into an ambush laid by the group around 5pm on Monday.
CNN international just tweeted this; “Boko haram and the defeat that was never”. Is this as a result of the fact that APC said they have technically defeated boko haram?
The BringBackOurGirls advocacy group campaigning for the rescue of 219 abducted Chibok secondary schoolgirls by the Boko Haram in 2014 has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to set up a search and rescue team to find the missing girls. This followed a statement by President Buhari on Wednesday during his maiden media chat that his administration had no intelligence reports on the whereabouts of the Chibok girls. Continue reading
The head of Nigeria’s Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a bombing in the capital Abuja and an attack hours later in Lagos which the authorities tried to cover up, in a video obtained by AFP Sunday. In the 16-minute video, Boko Haram chief Abubakar Shekau also voices support for the extremist Sunni Islamic State (IS) militants who have taken over large swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria. Continue reading
The singer who offered her virginity in return for the over 200 girls kidnapped by Boko haram was featured on Daily mail. This is how they wrote it
A Nigerian pop singer and peace ambassador has sent shock waves across social media by offering her virginity to Islamic militants in exchange for the return of hundreds of kidknapped schoolgirls.
Adokiye, 23, made the proposal to Boko Haram members to help free the 276 Nigerian girls which they snatched in April from the largely Christian north-eastern town of Chibok.
The singer and actress from the country’s Imo State told Nigerian newspaper Vanguard: ‘This is 11pm in the night and do you know what I am thinking about? Those little girls, where they are and what could be happening to them.
Some people think this is just a publicity stunt, what do you think?
Barely two months after abducting over 200 schoolgirls from Chibok, Borno State, the militant Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has written to the people of the community to watch out for their next visit. A highly-placed official of the Chibok Local Government Area, who made this known to journalists on Thursday, said that in the letter, the insurgents warned Chibok would soon be visited with terror.
He however said that the letter had been shown to police authorities who assured them of maximum protection. The official, who did not want his name in print, said in spite of the assurances by the police, the people were living in ‘‘great fear.
’’ He said, “Everyone in the LGA believes that the sect cannot be pocketed by security men. The letter has further worsened their fear. Whenever Boko Haram tells you that they are coming, they will never fail to do so. Our fear now is that, we don’t know when and how they are going to come but our people are in great fear. We are calling for prayers as well as on government to provide adequate security in Chibok.”
Ahmad Salkida, a Nigerian journalist who previously worked for Daily Trust and Premium Times and reported extensively on Boko Haram, fled Nigeria to Dubai 2 years ago after being accused of being a Boko Haram sympathizer is back home to negotiate with Boko Haram on their behalf, since he’s the only civilian who has allegedly seen Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau and come out alive. Read it below
According to Daily Mail
One hundred non-combatant, low-level sympathisers were to be freed and the two groups brought together in a convoy of buses accompanied by a hand-picked go-between, respected Nigerian journalist Ahmad Salkida.
Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abducted no fewer than 100 girls at the Senior Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, following a violent attack in the town. But the BBC quoted parents to have told it’s Hausa service that at least 200 girls were abducted.
Eyewitnesses said the girls who were in school preparing for their Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination were abducted at about 3.00am. A resident, said the attackers numbering about 50, stormed the town in a convoy of Toyota Hilux vehicles before unleashing terror on residents.
“They arrived in the town at about 10.00pm in a convoy of no fewer than seven Hilux vehicles and took control of the town and set fire on residential and public buildings. He said some of the attackers engaged in mass looting of food items, while others harassed residents at will.“Then suddenly they headed for the Senior Secondary School, Chibok, which is a WAEC examination centre. Some of the teachers and students took to their heels on sighting them, but they eventually abducted those who remained in the hostel. They packed food items and the students into an abandoned lorry before heading for the Sambisa forest,”.
The Borno Commissioner of Police, Alhaji Lawal Tanko, confirmed the attack, but said he did not have details of the incident.
This is what he wrote on his facebook page:
The fact that many educated youth will throng into squares for immigration interviews looking for any available job -we all know quite well government salary is nothing to go home about- shows the level of want Continue reading
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen, Kenneth Minimah, has relocated to the North-East to personally supervise the war against Boko Haram insurgents in the zone. The decision of the COAS to join his colleagues in the other services in the zone was largely responsible for the recent successes recorded by the military. There had been a public outcry over the increased rate of the massacre of innocent civilians, including schoolchildren, by Boko Haram terrorists in the North-East. The Chairman, Senate Committee on Defence and the Army, George Sekibo, confirmed the development on Sunday.